Monday, April 8, 2013

Week 2 in Spokane. On the lookout for The ROCK!

Dear Family!

I have a bunch of random thoughts to get out before I review last week.  First off, will someone please let Brad and Ashley know that their missionary CD is awesome? I absolutely love it! It has Uncle Andy's music on it as well but it isn't on there until like tract 10 so we were just driving in the car with it as a background music and I had to turn it up and mildly freaked out that it was Uncle Andy's singing.  Absolutely awesome! :D

A special note for  mom:  I'm sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well.  I'm glad Dr. LaRowe is an awesome man and was able to help you out.  Hope you feel better soon!  My fun note for you involves Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.  He has an aunt that lives here is Spokane.  She is a member but doesn't live in my zone.  Basically he comes and visits her every now and again. Cool right? He however isn't interested in the Mormons.  His mom is catholic, therefor so is he.  Kinda cool the things you learn on your mission. haha

There are a bunch of crazy people here in Cheney.  One of the awesome ladies that I've met is Debbie Mackson.  Debbie is a member and is suffering through breast cancer and told me on our first visit with her that she believes the only reason God keeps her here on earth is to be a mother to the missionaries.  She always has ice cream and stuff for us if we ever need a pick me up.  She is also a firm believer in the back scratcher.  Weird I know but she as bought like hundreds of them and she paints them and gives them to every new missionary.  I got one with flowers and it has my name on it.  Really really neat lady.

Our last name is really complicated for people.  I have been given the nickname Sister B and Sister Becky.  We aren't supposed to go by nicknames but people really struggle for some reason. 

It started to rain.  We had the most beautiful weather for the first couple of days and then it started to rain.  It isn't cold just by itself up here but they have this thing called the ''arctic wind'' that comes in from Canada and it is freezing cold! Oh man Sister Dickerman and I are not made for this kind of weather.  We miss our warmer weather from home.  We share a car with the Elders since there were soo many missionaries that came in this last transfer.  It's fun and good for us.  We only live like .8 of a mile away from the institute so our walking isn't to extensive. 

Alrighty on to this last week!
Monday's are fantastic! I love P-days.  We get to play games like volleyball, shop, wash clothes, clean the house, and write letters! Some of that doesn't sound like fun but it's great to have a complete day that is totally involved in different things like that.  Our P-day ends at 6pm and we work the rest of the day.  Serving in the YSA is fun because we get to go to FHE at the institute every Monday night.  Last week we played Family Feud.  It's fun to get involved with the members and build friendships and trust there. 

Tuesday was challenging.  We spent the day driving around our entire area looking for potentials, less-actives, and anyone that had been recently recorded in our area book in the last 2-3 years.  We had a huge list and an even bigger area to cover.  We spent about 4 hours driving around, finding houses, having appointments cancel, finding out that the addresses on half the houses were wrong or didn't exist.  In our 80+ mile journey we met with one person.  By the end of the day I was really discouraged.  In my planner I wrote, "Today was a challenge.  Finding/tracting was a bust.  We suffered in making connections.  I struggled to find the spirit, strength and confidence to carry on."  Sister Dickerman noticed the frustration that I was having and really helped open my eyes to this work.  Although we had a rough day we still managed to have some good laughs and keep our spirits up.  We have a dynamic companionship. 

Wednesday changed everything.  We have a weekly service project that we help with.  It's called the Cheney Community Clothing Exchange.  Basically it's the DI of Cheney but it's run by non-members.  They have people come and drop off old washed clothes that they don't wear any more and we check them, then put them out on shelves for others to look through and take what they want.  You don't have to pay for anything.  It's all just to help the community and it is remarkable.  As we were working there it was just humbling.  It really just was a spiritual slap to the face.  I realized that I didn't need to be teaching a lesson to an investigator to be a great representative of the Lord.  I thought back to what Sister Howells said at my farewell, "Be the kind of person that if someone doesn't know God they will want to because they know you."  If Christ were on the earth He would be strengthening everyone not just the ones that don't have His gospel.   I learned today how to be a missionary and not just go about doing missionary work.  I know that one incident will affect the rest of my mission.  It was the Lord's way of telling me what I need to be doing.  I needed to be humbled on Tuesday to realize the meaning of really being a missionary, a disciple of Christ, and that representative that I've been called to be. 

Thursday we did a lot of walking ( the elders had the car all day )  The theme for Thursday would have to be "inviting ALL to come unto Christ".  We basically walked the entire town trying to come in contact with less-actives that we need to invite to things.  As we passed through campus we would try and talk to as many students as we could.  Not many cared to talk but it was a good experience to get out there and not be afraid to just tell people about the Restoration of the gospel.  We had about an hour left in the day and we invited over to the Doll House (a big blue house in the neighborhood that 4 girls from church all live in).  It was good to be able to sit and rest for a while.  It really strengthened what I had realized the day before about how we need to uplift everyone around us and not just the investigators.   It was so important to build the members up as well.  Couldn't have asked for a better way to end that night. 

Friday we had Zone Meeting :) Our Zone Leaders are Elder Scherwindski and Elder Molyneaux.  You'd think Beckstrand would be an easy name to pronounce! haha Zone training was awesome though.  We worked on being able to teach the Restoration in a minute or less.  It's a brilliant tactic to learn because most people won't listen to you for longer than that on your first conversation with them.  It was fun to time each other as well as critic our information that we could get out in that short of a time.  I was paired up with Elder De Oliviera from the Medical Lake area.  It was a blast to get to know the other missionaries in our zone and learn and grow with them. 

Saturday and Sunday! General Conference!!!! I could hardly sleep Friday night.  It was like being a little kid again and not being able to sleep the night before Christmas.  Oh I was soo ready to listen to Conference.  We were able to watch all 4 sessions at the institute with a bunch of the YSA students.  We did breakfast in between sessions on Saturday and brunch in between sessions on Sunday.    The coolest thing about listening to conference was being able to receive revelation not only for myself but for all of the investigators that we are working with.  Some of the talks I swear were written exactly for them.  God is definitely in charge of this work and this entire church.  It's soo neat.  Some of my favorite talks were: Sister Dalton's talk on being and example to others of what a covenant keeping daughter of God is supposed to be.  I couldn't help but think of mom and the incredible example she has been for me in every aspect of that in my life.  Such a remarkable blessing to have that example in my life.  I loved Elder Cooks talk on peace.  Universal peace does not exist but that doesn't mean that we can't have individual peace in our lives.  That peace comes from living in accordance to the commandments of God.  I know that is true with every fiber of my being.  I haven't been more at peace than I have been being here in the Lord's work.  This gospel is just remarkable!  I learned a lot from Elder L. Whitney Clayton's talk about raising a family.  I know I'm not there yet but I'm definitely preparing on now.  I always stuck with the quote, "Be the kind of person you want to marry."  That quote came across my mind as he was speaking because I've always said that I want to marry a return missionary and now here I am fulfilling that part of what I want in who I am becoming through this incredible opportunity in my life to serve the Lord.  If there is one thing I've learned in the last almost month is is that Strict Obedience brings forth miracles.  Obedience has been drilled into my head more than anything else.  When President Monson got up and started speaking about obedience I knew it was important.  Strict obedience here in the mission field really is key.  There isn't much else we can offer to the Lord than our will to His.  Elder Neal A Maxwell said, "The submission of one's will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God's alter.  The many things we give are actually the things He as already give or loaned to us.  However, when you and I finally submit ourselves by letting our individual will be swallowed up in God's will, then we are really giving something to Him.  It's the only possession which is truly ours to give."  I love that quote.  I can't help be thinking back to my hospital bed when I turned everything over to God and said, I know you have a better plan than I do.  So I took one step with faith and He helped that one step turn in to running and here I am, serving Him in Cheney Washington.  I love this work.  I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  The Lord is hastening his work.  We are no longer planting seeds in people's hearts, we are harvesting the field.  And we aren't harvesting it one handful at a time but we are plowing the field down with a machine.  This work will not be stopped.  God is all powerful and knows what He is doing.  I know that to be be true without a shadow of a doubt.  I love this gospel.  I'm grateful for my awesome support system back at home.  All of your prayers are felt everyday.  I love you all soo much!  Keep the faith!

Much love,
Sister Beckstrand

No comments:

Post a Comment