Sunday, September 8, 2013

Last week of the transfer‏

Hey!
 
I've survived my first transfer of training!  I've been in Alexander Heights for 6 weeks now and we got the call today that we will be staying here for another 6 weeks at least to finish Sister Kennar's training.  This last week was hard.  On Monday Sister Kennar had a break down.  She had been holding a lot in and finally just let it go.  She was ready to go home.  She had been really struggling and I had no idea.  It was hard to see her just break down in tears.  She wouldn't accept a hug or anything.  She just let it all out.  I spent a lot of time on my knees that night in tears.  I finally thought we had figured everything out and then this happened.  She asked if she could just call home and talk to her family.  I held on to the phone and told her that she would have to ask President after Zone Meeting the next day.  Well we went to Zone Meeting and during our practice teaching Sister Kennar broke down again.  Her mind was not focused and she felt really inadequate.  She didn't want to talk to President after the meeting.  I stopped President Lindsay and talked to him for a bit and asked him how I can best help her.  He had some great advice and if anything he just calmed my heart that everything was going to be okay.  Sister Lindsay said that she was going to come study with us the next morning.  When we went home we did personal study.  I prayed for nearly half of my personal study in tears pleading for help on how I can help my companion.  When we finally got together for comp study she shared a really spiritual experience that she had during her personal study.  She had read exactly what she needed to and I could see the mighty change of heart.  When it was my turn to share what I learned I just cried.  I think it scared her because the only time she had seen me cry was when I read mom's blog about Zack's endowment.  I told her everything that I was feeling.  I shared how incredible she is as a missionary, how much I loved her, how much I wanted her to become the missionary that I know the Lord wants her to be, and how I felt like I had failed as a trainer from Monday night until she shared what she did.  It was a hard little mountain to climb but there is an incredible unity in our companionship now.  When Sister Lindsay came to study with us it was so nice to just be able to talk to her.  She asked how we were going and we were able to just talk to her like she was a mom.  It's nice having a mission mom to take care of us. 
 
After Sister Lindsay left we headed out for the day.  We saw a girl at the bus stop that looked really lost and about ready to cry.  I stopped and asked if she needed help.  She nearly started to cry.  Her name is Lydiya.  She said that she was just lost at where she was and where she was going.  We started talking about anything and everything.  She was recently baptized in a Baptist church.  We asked her if we could go sit in the park and talk to her.  We ended up sitting there for 40 mins answering her questions, sharing experiences, and teaching her.  She has had a crazy rough life.  She is only 19 and is lost.  She gave us all of her details and said that she wanted us to come visit her.  When we left I couldn't help but think that she is one of those people that has a hole in her heart that needs to be filled with the gospel and she just doesn't know it yet.  She said, "I know that God can help me." 7 or 8 times.  After she said it one time I asked, "Do you really believe that?"  She looked me square in the eye and started to cry.  She said no.  I testified more boldly than I think I ever have before about God's love for us and the plan that He has for us.  I gave her a Plan of Salvation pamphlet and asked her if she would read it, write down any questions, and then pray and ask God if what we have to share with her could help her in her life.  She said that just having us talk to her was an answer to a prayer.  She had prayed to know if she was alone and then we rode up and asked her if she needed help.  I can't wait to talk to her tomorrow.
 
We had a super powerful lesson with Saba on Saturday when we taught the Restoration.  She is golden.  I've never met someone soo prepared by the Lord.  She said that her mom wants her to come to the church they go to and she told her mom that she is old enough to choose for herself on what makes her happy and that our church is what has brought her peace and is putting her closer to God.  She said that she can't wait to get her full licence so she can help the missionaries share the gospel.  She's soo amazing.  AND!!! We saw a miracle this week!!!  We got a call from President Websbane and he said that the restriction on people to be baptized if they are on a bridging visa has been lifted and that we can progress Sadaf and Monia towards baptism!!!! We told them the good news at church and we reset them on date to be baptized! :) Thank you for all of your prayers on their behalf.  It has brought so much happiness to them and it's only the beginning of a lifetime of eternal happiness in the gospel.  I love being a missionary! I love seeing others lives change for the better.  I love being an instrument in the hands of the Lord.  The work is moving forward and there is nothing to hold us back.  I love you all and pray for you daily. 
 
Much love,
Sister Shayne
 
Happy Anniversary mom and dad!  I hope you have a great anniversary and do something nice.  Soph, Josh, Ben, David make sure you clean the house extra well this week for mom and dad for their anniversary.  Be good and do what you are told :)  I'm glad that you are all doing well in school and having a fun time.  Josh I am in the middle of a letter to be sent to you for your birthday in a few weeks.  Hopefully I can get it to you on time haha Ben I haven't been able to ever remember the correct word for headphones.  I always call them listening cords and everyone looks at me funny.  I totally said "a whole nother" the other day talking to my companion and I just laughed at myself.  I have been bitten by a couple stupid mosquito's here.  They swell up really big and they itch like none other.  I've been really proud of myself for not itching them.  Do you have any questions for me about Australia, the bugs, the weather, or anything like that that I can answer?  These are me new funny words for the week. Fairy bread is a childhood favorite here.  It is just buttered bread with sprinkles on it.  Apparently I'm going to have it for my birthday because I was deprived as a child according to members haha it doesn't sound super appetizing if you ask me but I'll give it a try.  The alphabet is even pronounced differently.   When you spell words h an z are pronounced 'hache' and 'zed'.  It's a dead give away that you aren't from here when you say 'ach' and 'zee'.  I think that's all for this week.  Sister Kennar wants you to send pictures from school dances and when my hair was super short.  If you get wallet size pictures from school photos I would like them so I can keep them in my wallet to show people please :) I love you all!
 

p.s.
Wow. I can't believe what has happened this week back at home.  I cried when I read the article about Braydon.  I automatically flashed back to talking to him and the Duckworths at the pool when they would all come to train together.  The lord really needed his smile back at home. 
Dad you are at the spot that I was with Meningitis, you feel great but your insides are not doing so well.  Just rest. 
I pray for you all everyday and know that the Lord is watching out for us.  I feel his love soo much being here.  Every time I meet someone with a family problem or strive to reactivate a less active family or anything of the sort I always say a prayer in my heart and thank God for our family.  We've been blessed with the greatest family on the planet.  I love that we turn everything to the Lord when times get hard.  That is the only way to make it through times that are hard.  I love you soo much.  There is a postcard coming your way for your anniversary this week :)  It will probably be really late but it's coming.  Thanks for being there for me and raising me right.  You're the greatest parents a kid could ask for.  Thank you for your encouragement and prayers.  
 
All my love, 
Sister Shayne 



No comments:

Post a Comment