Sunday, August 3, 2014

"I just want to punch Satan in the face!"‏

Hey everyone! 
I want to share a bunch of funny things to start this letter out and then I will get into what the title is all about.  My companion is hilarious.  There is never a dull moment in our flat.  Most of the laughter comes from the lack of English or the lack of understanding on my part.

#1 We have a less-active that just got a job in a night club.  When we got home later that night Sister Tomaki said, "I'm scared to work in a club." I didn't get what she was saying and made her say it two more times.  Finally she said, "Work. in. the. club. like what Keely does."  Then it clicked and I said, "Oooohh I thought you said 'walk in the could' and I was going to say I'm scared to die too Sister Tomaki!"  She laughed and laughed because it was my fault this time not understanding her English even though it was perfectly clear.  I was just tired I guess. 

#2 Sister Tomaki is reading the Book of Mormon daily to help with her understanding and English.  She has just reached the Isaiah chapters in 2nd Nephi.  Everyday when I ask her what she learned in her personal study she just stares at the chapter she read and says, "I don't like Isaiah."  Then we go over what she read and I try to explain Isaiah.  We got to chapter 16 and it talks about Isaiah having 'unclean lips' and how he received a remission of his sins.  When she realized that it was talking about Isaiah she said, "Oh he was the one with unclean lips.  No wonder his words make no sense!"  

#3 You know you are doing language study right when your companion goes from reading a General Conference talk to singing a song by Shakira.  The sentence went like this, "Being spiritually prepared means we have developed spiritual stamina mina aye aye waka waka aye aye!"  She didn't skip a beat.  I laughed so hard I cried and my stomach hurt.  Sister Tomaki is the greatest!  :)

#4  We were at choir practice on Thursday, Grandma was talking about transfers and Sister Tomaki started pointing to the missionaries and said, "Innie minnie miney mo, you're the one who's going to go!"  We all cracked up laughing!  She is determined that that is how President picks where people go sometimes. 
Its moments like this that helped us get through the week we just had.  We visited with the Greentree's on Friday.  We had a good lesson with them about the Priesthood.  After the lesson Phil excused his kids and we sat and talked with him and Tash for another good 30 minutes.  Phil found out that he has to undergo a operation in about 2 weeks time.  It doesn't have anything to do with the accident up in the mines.  It was just a little much to have to get that news along with going through the trauma of the accident and all.  We talked about relying on the Lord with everything.  They all fasted with us this week to help them get through their trials.  The kids are still progressing well but it is affecting everyone in a different way.  We left their house just so mad.  Not at anything in particular but just the fact that Satan is trying so hard to bring them down.  Once this family is in the gospel fully there is no taking them out.  They will be incredible missionaries to those around them that have already seen the changes within them.  They will be a mighty force in strengthening the Kingdom of God.  We drove home and I had a good little cry.  
 
We had got a text from Nikau just before we went into the Greentrees and I knew that something had happened to him just by the way his text was phrased.  I tried to call him back but he didn't answer.  I called his mum and talked with her.  I told her that we would be over to sort him out after we finished our lesson with the Greentrees.  Sure enough Satan was working really hard to bring Nikau down too.  Nikau is amazing.  I have no other words to describe him.  He has made amazing changes in the last 3 weeks.  He is happy and is moving forward in the gospel.  I found out this week that he is going to get the Melchezidik Priesthood on the 31st of this month at Stake Conference.  I flipped out just a little when I got that text message.  I feel like I am part of this family.  Nikaus is like my brother.  I cry when he cries.  I laugh when he laughs.  I love that kid and want only the very best for him.  He was going so well and then one little thing happened that could have turned into a major setback to his progression.  We pulled up to the Mutus that night and mum asked if she wanted us to go see if he would come out of his room.  I asked her if we could try and go talk to him.  She said we could and we went in and sat by his bed.  Sister Tomaki tried to talk to him and he just buried his face into his blanket.  I said, "Two can play that game Nikau and I'm prepared to stay here all night if I have to."  We eventually got him talking and discussed everything from deep concerns to really just over all wanting to punch Satan in the face.  I was able to share, through more tears, how Satan knows exactly how to get us down.  As we left the Greentree home and pit stopped at our house for a cry before going to Nikaus I couldn't help but have the thought come into my head that said, "If you were a little bit more obedient this week, if you were a harder working missionary, if you loved a little more, if you blah blah blah then these trials wouldn't have happened to these people."  I know that was a lie.  I know that that was just Satan's way of trying to bring me down so that I couldn't help those around me up to higher ground.  I was just mad that he would even try to bring me down.  These people mean sooooo much to me that even the thought that I couldn't help them made me completely forget my pity and move on to help the next person.  
 
When we are trying our hardest that is when our temptations and such get stronger and stronger.  We will come out on top.  This battle is already over.  Satan knows he is going to lose.  I don't know about you but I don't want to be doing anything that puts me on a losing team.  Fasting is amazing.  It brings spiritual strength that you can't get anywhere else.  Our fast and testimony meeting was incredibly powerful yesterday. I'm so grateful for the Spirit.  It only teaches us truth.  Truth is was we need to focus on.  It builds faith and solidifies the foundation we are building our lives upon.  I love this gospel.  Through the atonement and the principles of the gospel we can find happiness in even the darkest of times.  I hope you all have felt that.  If you are in a dark spot then turn on a light.  Bring some happiness into your life through something in the gospel.  Read a verse of scripture, sing a hymn, anything!  It will help.  I hope you all enjoy your last week of summer!  I love you all!

Much love,
Sister Shayne

Alma
57:36 Always thinking about others
59:9 It is better to prepare and prevent then to repair and repent
60:23 Cleaning the inward vessel first.  If we repent and put our life of the right path then we can easily reach out an help others. 
61:13 Trust in God
62:40 Prayer saves the day again.
62:49 Stay humble and remember God at all time.

Helaman
3:35 Stronger humility and firmer faith.  We all need that.
4:24-25 What can we do to have the Spirit more?
5:9 The only way back is through Jesus Christ
5:10-11 We are saved from sin, not in our sins.
5:30 The still small voice! 
5:47 Peace, peace be unto you

The wonderful Mandurah District :) 
E. Hereaka, E. Maughan, S. Tomaki, S. Beckstrand, E. Wihongi,
Nikau Mutu, E. Teuira. 



















 This is what happen when your Vanuatu companion is missing home and you can't fall asleep.  She does your hair and you stay up talking for hours. haha :)  It was awesome!



More photos.   She is talented.  When I took it out this morning I looked like a lion :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment