Sunday, March 23, 2014

Living the gospel brings blessings!‏

G'day all!
It's good to hear that everyone is doing well.  Soph, dad told me all about your FHE lesson.  I'm proud of the Young Woman you are becoming.  Josh, can't wait to see the soccer skills when I get back.  You'll be on the high school team before you know it.  Ben, I was so excited to hear about your baseball practices!  Keep up the hard work.  The more you practice the better you will be.  David, good job at your soccer game this week.  I'm glad that everyone was able to make the games even though they were at the same time. 

This has been another great week in Golden Bay.  Last week we gathered as a zone and played a great game of touch rugby together.  I haven't played a good touch game since I was serving in Alexander Heights.  It was definitely needed.  It was fun to catch up with all of the missionaries that I haven't seen in a while.  We had an amazing Zone Meeting on Tuesday.  Our Zone Leaders, Elder Baptista and Elder Bunda, had a vision for our meeting to deepen our conversion to the Book of Mormon.  After their training they had each of us come up to the front and share a scripture that made a difference in our missionary efforts from the last Book of Mormon challenge.  The spirit was sooo strong!  I shared 3 Nephi 19:9.  The 12 apostles have just walked and talked with Christ.  They saw and felt the wounds in his hands, feet, and side.  They learned from Him and were given the authority by his hand.  When Christ left they taught the people and then knelt in prayer.  Verse 9 tells us what they most desired.  These men who have just been a part of all of this most desired to have the Spirit to be with them.  The very thing that each and every one of us as baptized members of the church have as a constant companion when we do what is right.   When I read that I took a serious look at how I value that gift that was given to me when I was 8.  As a missionary we aren't given any added Spirit.  We, just like every other member, receive its guidance and protection as we live worthily of it.  That scripture really opened my eyes to the importance of having the Holy Ghost really be our constant companion. 


The biggest miracle this week came during a visit to the hospital.  We were supposed to go visit Jordy and his family on Thursday night but got a call instead that informed us that no one was home because his mum Kylie was in the hospital.  She had gone in for a small surgery.  We offered to have the Elders come give her a blessing.  They all agreed and within an our us, Elder Poi and Elder Leato along with Brother Day, our Ward Mission Leader, were there visiting and to give her a blessing for a speedy recovery.  She said, "I have to admit I saw your 3 house rules (of pray, read, and church) taped to the wall of our house and I thought, 'Ha ain't no way 3 little rules are going to help this family.  We would need at least 50 house rules to fix our problems'.  I was wrong.  As we've been reading and praying everyday our house has really mellowed out."  AAAHHHH!!!!!  Nothing could have made me happier than hearing Kylie say that!  The gospel only blesses families when the gospel is lived within the walls of the home.  When the non-member mum sees the difference in the home and in her children it testifies to everyone the beauty and simplicity of the gospel.  Everyone in their family minus mum and baby came to church on Sunday and stayed for the first 2 hours!!!  It's amazing what brings missionaries happiness.  All of my happiness comes from seeing others draw closer to Christ and make the changes necessary to be blessed by Him.  It is just amazing.  


We had exchanges with our Sister Training Leaders this week.  Sister Bailey came and joined me in Golden Bay.  We had a day full of miracles, joy, and sun.  We spent most of our day on the bikes and I got burnt.  I forgot sunscreen that morning.  Sister Murray says I'm just trying to fit in to our all brown district. :)  The coolest miracle came from tracting with Sister Bailey.  On Wednesday Sister Murray and I were biking in our area and school had just got out.  We were following this mum and her kids on their bikes when one little boy's chain fell off of his bike and he stacked it hard out.  I automatically jumped off my bike and as the mum comforted the boy I put the chain back on the bike (as useful skill I've learned on my mission).  The mum of the little boy came and picked him up, they thanked us, and everyone went on their way.  I was super bummed that night that I didn't get to share anything more with them.  I was grateful that I was able to do some good for the day but prayed that Heavenly Father would give us the opportunity to see them again.  Well low and behold Sister Bailey knocks on this door and the mum says, "Hey you were the lady who helped my friends little boy put his chain back on his bike!"  IT WAS THEM!!!!  She and her 3 children all believe in God and said that we could come by any time to share a message with us.  Sister Bailey and I left their house and had to stop and offer a prayer of gratitude.  It was the most faith restoring moment for me.  The rest of the night I just kept saying prayers of thanks in my heart for that special moment.  Every person we help, even if it is just a smile, is blessed in some way.  Make the difference where you stand today.  Help someone around you, smile, or give someone a phone call.  You never know the effect you will have.  I love this work.  I know that as we act in a way that helps bring about God's kingdom that He will bless our efforts.  I love you all!  
Much love, Sister Shayne

Pic #1  This is my awesome watch tan line.  I used to be as white as my shirt :)  Sister Bailey laughed so hard that she said she needed to take a picture.
 
 
Pic #2 These are called Ibis birds.  They are funny little things that are EVERYWHERE! 

Pic #3 Mum last week said, "You are 3 blocks from the ocean.  That must suck for you!"  I had to take this picture this week to show how much I see the ocean.  This is Foreshore road.  They call the seashore a foreshore.  Can you see the ocean?  This is the closest road to the ocean.  This country is so flat that you can't see the ocean unless you go to a look out.  We can't really go to the lookouts because they have a sand path to get to them and our mission has a rule that we aren't even allowed on the sand.  It's out of sight and out of mind.  We just hear it all the time which is cool.         


No comments:

Post a Comment