Sunday, March 16, 2014

Week of miracles :)‏

G'day everyone!
This has been the most golden of weeks here in Golden Bay.  Our Zone Leaders have said that they are going to paint our car gold because of the awesome week we have had.  I even painted my nails gold this morning.  We have been so blessed.  This last week we found 5 new investigators, invited 3 people to be baptized, and set specific dates for baptism with two of those three!  I'll tell you a little bit about these highlights. 

We will start with Jess.  Jess has been investigating the church for about 4 years now.  We did a drop by visit last Monday and she just needed us.  We shared an awesome lesson about forgiveness and the atonement.  She told us of some things in her life that helped us understand all of the guilt that she has been carrying.  She agreed to meet with Bishop Mandin to help her heal.  We opened the calendar on her phone and told her to pick a date to be baptized.  She has a lot of healing to do and we told her that she can have Christ's atonement fill the broken parts of her life.  She is ready for that to happen.  She picked the 8th of May.  We are so proud of her for taking these steps and moving closer to Christ.

Next is Jordy.  Jordy comes from a part member family.  His nan, older sisters, and cousin are all members but his mum and dad are not.  We've been over a couple of time since I've been here and we've realized that this family needs to not only be fully in the gospel but that their home really stands in need of a better spirit.  The sisters don't get a long and the oldest sister thinks her mum is ruining her life.  They desperately need the spirit of contention to leave their home.  Last week I told you about Kylie and Ally.  Kylie is Jordy's mum.  When we went and met with her two weeks ago she expressed that Jordy wants to be baptized and she would love to see him go on a mission some day.  On Wednesday we went and taught the family about God's love for them, how living the gospel will bless their family, and how God calls prophets to help us.  We set some house rules as well.  I wrote up 3 rules on a piece of paper and laminated it.  #1 Pray daily #2 Scriptures daily #3 Church every Sunday.  We discussed them and decided that they would each read one verse around the dinner table before anyone was allowed to eat.  I thought that was a great idea.  One verse is all it takes some times.  We decided as a family to have him baptized on the 19th of April.  The family is going to work together to help him be prepared for that date.  I've been praying really hard for their family.  They need the blessings that come from actually living the gospel. 

Our last baptismal invite was with our friend Te Ava.  Te Ava is the cousin of some members in the ward.  We went over and taught them the Plan of Salvation this week.  We were talking about our life here on earth and how Christ set the perfect example for us.  We kept using the work baptism and Te Ava asks, "Does someone have to be baptized in order to live with God again?"  We smiled and said yes and invited him to follow Christ's example and be baptized.  He said that he would once he found out that it is true.  We will continue teaching him and helping him receive that answer for himself. 

Here are some fun stories from our efforts of finding this week.  Sister Murray and I were tracting a street called Maddox.  We couldn't figure out what the front door was on this house so we just knocked on one.  A lady poked her head through the curtain and said, "That's not the front door!  Go around to the other street!"  We walked around and quickly realized that we were on the side of her house and not the front.  She has a beautiful house and 5 super cute kids.  Her name is Kate.  We got a good laugh out of it and it was an awesome ice breaker.  We are going back on Tuesday to talk to her about the Plan of Salvation.  She is a nice lady :)

Another day of tracting we met our friend Delroy.  Sister Murray and I picked a street and when we got to it it only had two houses that were actual homes.  The rest were still under construction.  I said, "Well someone in one of these houses needs our message!"  We got to the front door and it had the most flash doorknob I had ever seen.  It was like a Samsung phone with a door handle.  You had to put in a code to get the door to unlock instead of a key.  Again that was our ice breaker when Delroy answered the door.  We talked for a bit and learned heaps about him.  He is from Zimbabwe and has just recently turned back to Christ.  He was addicted to smoking pot and all kinds of things for a long time.  He said that he is 7 weeks clean and is ready to bring God back into his life.  We talked about prophets and how General Conference is coming up.  He was really keen on the idea of a living prophet.  We are excited to go back this week and teach him all about the Restoration.  It will be a good lesson.

Last but definitely not least we have these two YSA girls in our ward that we absolutely adore.  Their names are Emma and Caitlin.  They come out with us all the time.  Caitlin is planning on submitting her mission papers in August.  Emma is from North Carolina and Caitlin is originally form California.  They are moving back to the states in a couple of months.  I told them that they need to take a trip to St. George come September to see me.  We had dinner with them and Jess on Saturday night.  These girls are so strong.  I love them so much.  It's amazing to see how people really do stand up for what they believe.  Sometimes it isn't easy but with these two I know that it is always easier when you surround yourself with people that have the same standards as you.

Last night we had dinner at a members home. After our spiritual thought they shared one with us.  If you ever been on mormon.org and have looked through the videos of people you may have come across this video http://www.mormon.org/william of William Hopoate.  He is well known here and when people hear his story they are more willing to listen to us.  Well William is home now and this is his latest interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbGJA16uXQ . He is a legend.  When it comes to standing up for what you believe Will sets a really good example for us all.  I've chuckled in meetings at church when leaders say, "Wow there was a lot at conference about going to the rescue and member missionary work."  They say it and then just disregard it.  I want all of you who are reading this to realize that the missionary work can't progress any farther than we currently are without each and every one of us opening our mouths, standing up, and sharing the gospel in our own ways.  It can be as simple as posting these video's on to your facebook page.  That is a simple as way to share your testimony.  This week I encourage all of you to find some way that you can share the gospel.  Heavenly Father gave you your testimony for a reason.  He placed you where you are right now in your life for a reason.  There is someone who needs to hear the gospel from you.  I know you can all do it.  We are going to keep moving the water here.  Help your missionaries bring forth the Kingdom of God.  I love you all.  I hope your Spring Break was awesome.  I celebrated my year mark with an ice cream cake with Te Ava and the Mclean family and then we burnt a skirt.  It's a mission tradition.  I used one that I found in an old flat don't worry mum.  Everything here is going great and I pray for yous daily.  Have a great week! 






Much love,
Sister Shayne   

Heavenly Father told me Happy One Year mark by giving us the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen.  I wish my camera did it justice.




This is the foreshore.  Sister Murray and I just sat here for hours last pday.  It made me really happy :) 


I told Caitlin that when I finish my mission I would come keep her parents company while she goes and serves her mission.  This is the view from her living room.  They have a dock to put a boat or to go paddle board off of.  I was pretty jealous. 










Wind surfers

Pelicans

One happy Sister Beckstrand


We had enchiladas for dinner :)  Again this made me a really happy sister missionary.  I requested dinner and they requested that we teach them about enduring to the end.  It was a good trade if you ask me. 






 This is Jaden.  We had strawberry shortcake for dinner and he went a little happy with the whipped cream.  He had a full mouthful and then someone made him laugh and he shot it everywhere!!!  It was soooo funny!  I had to grab my camera as quick as possible to catch the moment and this is Emma and our beautiful enchiladas.
















        

1 comment:

  1. Makes me cry every week. So proud of my little roommate.

    ReplyDelete