Sunday, April 13, 2014

A week different from all the rest‏

G'day family!
This has been a week unlike any other on my mission thus far.  Transfers always bring about a crazy week but I am still trying to just get my head wrapped around it all.  Monday we had a great family home evening with the Mutu's.  I love this family.  They are full of love and fun.  Sister Mutu is a solid member.  She is definitely my mission mum of this area.  She and her daughters go to the temple at least once a month.  Both daughters are sealed in the temple and her son Nikau is preparing for a mission.  Her husband isn't a member.  Nikau shared a lesson on gratitude.  It was really good.  It opened us all up for a mini testimony meeting of the things that we are grateful for.  The spirit was soo strong. 

Tuesday was gone in a blink of an eye and we were on the highway Wednesday morning at 7am to get to the temple in time for my trainers meeting at 9am.  The meeting was great and after shuffling suitcases from car to car for Sister Murray she was off and I was with my temporary companion Sister Brown for the day.  We were able to go back to her area of Kwinana for the day to work.  A highlight from that day was teaching this lady named Pam.  Pam was contacted once but then the sisters had struggled to get a second appointment.  Well we talked with her for a bit at the door and then asked if we could come in and share a the Restoration with her.  She agreed and we had an incredible lesson!  The spirit was so strong.  She had golden questions and situations.  She said that she has been looking at different churches but they all seem to be missing something.  (Sound familiar?)  I asked her if she would like to know what was missing and she said yes.  I told her it was the priesthood and we invited her to come to General Conference and to read the Book of Mormon.  She said she would do both!  Our jaws just dropped as we got in the car.  The spirit was great and we offered a humble prayer of gratitude before we called in our miracles to our leaders.  1 hour back in our area and Sister Brown had invited someone to be baptized :)  That is how we make it happen here in the APM. 

Thursday we went to the temple to pick up our new companions!  My new companion is Sister Marie Tomaki.  She is 21 and the 2nd oldest of 6 children.  She is straight from Port-Vila Vanuatu.  Her English is pretty good for not knowing much before her 2 weeks in the NZ MTC.  She is really shy during regular conversations with people but when she opens her mouth to share a scripture or testify she is powerful!  Since she is being trained and learning a language our studies start at 8am and don't end until noon.  I definitely needed this.  I have been looking back on the stuff that I am supposed to teach and I've realized that I have gotten into a pretty set routine of how I teach.  It isn't bad but I know that we are going to grow and learn a lot from each other.  Sister Tomaki has only been a member for just over 2 years.  She was the first to be baptized in her immediate family.   She joined, then her dad (who passed away last year), her sisters, and then her mum.  Her older brother has yet to join the church.  We had made a plan that she will baptize him and then take her whole family to the temple in Fiji to be sealed after her mission.  That left a big smile on her face.  She is just precious.  I already know that by the time we are done with her training that she will be a powerhouse and I will probably cry when we have to be transferred in like 3 months.

We had a whole new district here in the Mandurah ward.  Elder Eti and I are the only ones that stayed in the ward.  The new Mandurah Elders are Elder Teuira from Tahiti (Elder Teuira has been out for a year and a half the same as Elder Eti) and  Elder Cook.  He has been out for 6 months and is from Wyoming.  Elder Eti is training a new missionary as well.  His name is Elder Maughan.  The first time I asked him how to pronounce his name he said, "Have you seen Cool Runnings?"  I said yes and he replied, "Ya man! (in a thick Jamaican accent)"  I think we will get along.

General Conference was amazing.  I can't even begin to explain the thoughts and feelings that ran through me as I watched and listened to those inspired speakers.  The whole week prior to Conference we told all of our investigators, members, and less actives to prepare questions that they wanted answered and to take them to Conference with them.  Well Friday rolled around and I realized that I had questions but I hadn't really meditated on them or wrote them down.  I said a prayer and decided to write them on a sticky note and put it in my planner for the next day.  Two questions I want to share with you and the answers that I received.        
Question #1 How can I increase my faith?  In Christ and Self? 
Answer #1  Elder Nelsen's talk.  Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ comes from living His gospel.  He meantioned searching for truth.  I wrote, "What am I learning?  Am I searching for truth in all that I do?"  I loved when he said, "Those who face their fears with faith have courage also." I loved his talk. 
Question #2 What does the future hold in store?
Answer #2 Elder Gary E. Stevenson's talk.  This life is my four minutes.  As he talked about the Olympians I just cried.  He was speaking to me!  All of the things that I've been through in live, all of the dreams, all of the blessings that God has orchestrated into my life this far.  All of it is a part of my four minutes.  I am in charge of what happens next.  As I continue to live the way God wants me to live, as I obey his commandments with exactness, and as I continue to progress the work of salvation He will help me accomplish anything else I desire to do.  Isn't that a beautiful promise?  That is how I will find my next medal :)  As he got in to his talk Sister Tomaki just looked over at me and pulled out a tissue for me.  That talk really hit home. 
I hope you all enjoyed General Conference as much as I did!  I really look forward to taking President Monson's advice and being able to study the words that have been spoken.  It is such a special blessing to be able to listen and apply the words from God through the leaders of Christ's true and living church every 6 months.  I love this gospel.  I love that we can continually change, repent, and progress towards our ultimate goal of the Celestial Kingdom.  I love you all and hope you have a faith filled week!

Much love,
Sister Shayne   
Picture: Me and Sister Tomaki :)      

Before I got Sister Tomaki I spent Monday and Tuesday preparing our flat for her :)  I made her a new planner, put up some signs and topped it off with balloons.  She loved it :)  Her planner has a sunset from here in Golden Bay (her first area), Perth city, the mission office, and of course pictures of the Savior.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment