Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hard work, tears, and prayers. God feels, sees, and hears them all.‏

G'day everyone!

Well this last week flew by!  On Friday I really was like blown away at how quickly our week was coming to an end.  I'll just give a recap of how this week went and explain the subject of this letter. 
On Wednesday President and Sister Lindsay flew up to spend the day with us.  We went to lunch to celebrate how amazing our Zone is doing.  In the Bunbury Zone we had never had more than 4 baptisms in a month.  The first week of December we had, I believe, 6 baptisms in our Zone.  With Kalgoorlie contributing to that with a baptism just before I came up.  President wanted to come let us know how much he loves us and let us know that we are not forgotten out here in Kal.  After lunch with them we all went to the chapel for a District Meeting.  President and Sister Lindsay told us the Christmas story from the bible.  It was touching and just filled the room with the Spirit.  We had an awesome meeting.  Each of us got a point to teach each other.  We have a great unity in our small little district.  President had interviews with us after the meeting.  I love President Lindsay.  He would do anything for us.  I love having interviews with him because I can just feel his love for me in everything we talk about.  It really was just a boost I needed.  I printed out a 6x8 of the St. George temple picture you sent with it covered in snow and put it in a white photo frame for President and Sister Lindsay for Christmas.  Sister Lindsay LOVED it!  It was nice to have something small to give them for Christmas since they do everything for us. 
 
Then we got into the work of the week.  We had some great appointments set up, great plans of inviting people to be baptized, and we were excited to see some great growth in our teaching pool from the tracting that we had planned to do.  Well long story short all of our appointments fell through.  They were either called into work, going out of town, forgot, or just weren't home.  We hit 39C (102F) degrees yesterday.  I thought it was awesome but everyone else hates it.  I'm just grateful to finally have a summer.  Everyone says that these next couple weeks are going to be the hottest.  We got in the car and it was just hot and I felt at home.  That is something I've surprisingly missed about home.  Not have a summer for more than a year is awful.  The down side to it being so hot is that tracting is miserable.  Not only is it hot and sweaty but people don't want to open their doors and let out the cool air.  If they do open it they don't like to talk because it either requires them to let us in (which only one person did this week) or close the door.  The latter happened a lot.  When I say a lot I mean that we tracted for at least an hour and a half everyday and only found 1 person this week that was willing to let us come back and share more.  We were able to share the story about Christ's birth from 3 Nephi 1:13-14 at a couple of doors though and that was nice.  They didn't want to hear any more but at least we got something in.  Kalgoorlie is unlike any other place I've served yet.  Normally when tracting other places if people aren't interested they would make up an excuse or just tell us "thanks but no thanks."  Here people seem to have more to say and it's not usually anything nice about religion.  After a full day of no results I just drove home in tears.  I have been praying really hard for patience and perseverance.  I won't let it get me down but it's been a rough couple of days.  There isn't a whole lot of love out here when tracting.  Thankfully our ward members love us and take care of us. 
There was one cool thing that happened while we were tracting.  There was a house that was down this long as driveway behind another house.  We just passed by and were about to go to another house when I got the impression that we needed to go back.  As we walked down this driveway I couldn't help but think, "This is going to be a family that wants to hear what we have to share.  It's has to be.  Because we almost missed it there must be someone here that wants to hear our message."  Sure enough a big Maori dad came to the door.  We gave our little door approach and he let us come in and share our message with his 3 kids around the dinner table as they ate.  It was really cool.  The mum and dad were on their way out but they said we could come back after the holidays and share more with them.  They are going to Perth for Christmas.  That's what most of Kalgoorlie is doing for Christmas haha.  
 
I hit my half way mark of my mission!  I can't believe that I've been gone for 9 months.  Time flies soo fast when you are on a mission.  Our Sister Training Leaders called us on the 13th and sang, "Happy Halfway to you! Happy Halfway to you!  Happy Halfway Sister Beckstrand!  Happy Halfway to you!"  It was awesome!  I couldn't help but just laugh at their creativity.  It made my day :) The STL's are coming up today and will be with us all day tomorrow.  It will be nice to have them here.  Not only will we be able to teach more people but we will be able to double our finding efforts as well. 
Church yesterday and just all of our Sabbath was amazing.  At church our Ward Mission Leaders assistant bore his testimony about missionary work.  He talked about how it is the ward members that need to be reaching out and saving the lost.  He talked about rescue visits and how important they are.  Everyone was touched.  He reminded me of Brigham Young's conversion story about hearing a testimony of a man without eloquence.  Brother Paia'aua is from Samoa and his English isn't perfect but Mate, he spoke with power.  Then in Relief Society we talked about the word reflect.  We reflected on a particular moment in our life that we remember really vividly.  I thought back to state swim 2012 after I finished the 100 freestyle.  It was just something that I could remember really well.  She compared how we reflect in our lives and how we can reflect upon the life of the Saviour and how we can learn from His life.  I was incredible deep in thought when we heard the primary children in the room behind us start singing time.  I heard the most angelic choir come from those little kids.  They sang,
My life is a gift; my life has a plan.
My life has a purpose; in heav'n it began.
My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth
And seek for God's light to direct me from birth.
I will follow God's plan for me,
Holding fast to his word and his love.
I will work, and I will pray;
I will always walk in his way.
Then I will be happy on earth
And in my home above. 
I am so incredible grateful for the plan that God has for me and for each one of us.  I'm grateful for my Saviour.  I'm grateful for this Christmas season of which we have to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.  I'm grateful for the atonement.  I know that by focusing on the Saviours life and teachings we can learn soo much.  I have grown so much closer to my Saviour these last 9 months.  I'm grateful for the attributes of Christ that we can adapt into our lives.   Take time this week to read the account of the Saviours birth and many of the miracles that he performed in His ministry.  President Hinckley said, “This is the wondrous and true story of Christmas. The birth of Jesus in Bethlehem of Judea is preface. The three-year ministry of the Master is prologue. The magnificent substance of the story is His sacrifice, the totally selfless act of dying in pain on the cross of Calvary to atone for the sins of all of us. …“There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter. The babe Jesus of Bethlehem would be but another baby without the redeeming Christ of Gethsemane and Calvary, and the triumphant fact of the Resurrection.”  I testify that that is true.  Make Christmas all about Christ this year.  Start off the new year more devoted and dedicated to God and the Saviour.  It will bring more blessing into your life than you could ever imagine.  I love this gospel and know it is the only true church on the face of the Earth.  The Priesthood is real and has been restored.  The Book of Mormon is word of God and Thomas S. Monson is God's prophet on earth today.  That's my short and simple testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  
 
I hope you were all able to watch the 1st Presidency Broadcast.  If you haven't, watch it.  It was inspired.  We were able to watch it at the chapel last night.  After we were spiritually fed by that, a sister in the ward came up to us.  Sister White's daughter Emma is 10 and has not been baptized.  They have been waiting for the dad to be worthy to baptize her.  Well their family is ready for her to be baptized.  Sister White said that her husband was baptized 7 years ago on the 24th of December and if at all possible they would like to baptize Emma on Christmas Eve.  We couldn't believe what we were hearing.  We have an appointment with them on Tuesday to see how we can get her ready to be baptized.  She has had all of the lessons several times over the last year.  We are going to go through the baptismal questions with her and then play her program and get things all sorted out.  If everything goes well we should be giving their family the best Christmas present ever.  God answers prayers!  He does in His time and in His way but every prayer is answered.  "Pray He is there, speak He is listening.   You are His child, His love now surrounds you."  I love being a missionary.  Life in Australia is amazing.  The work is moving forward and individuals and families are coming unto Christ.  I am grateful for you all.  I've been blessed with the greatest family on the planet. I love you all and think about you all the time.  Can't wait to see you next week :) Until then know I love you.  You are the best. 

Much love, Sister Shayne
 
 I went through and printed pictures from mum's blog and taped them to the wall near my bed.  I love em.
 
 
 
We found this not so little guy in our kitchen sink the other morning.  Note: Our dishes were done minus those two cups in the picture.  Windows were all closed and the bench (countertop) was clean.  We have no idea how he got in but Sister Viaula took care of him.  Haha I tried to smash him and missed and ran away like a little girl hahahaha I just couldn't do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment