Tuesday, January 28, 2014

118 degrees and 88% humidity!

G'day everyone! 

This week has been weird.  On the 13th it about 118F here in Kalgoorlie.  This last week from Monday (20th) until Sunday it rained.  When it rains in Kalgoorlie it doesn't just sprinkle.  It's like God turns on the facet knob full force.  The ground is just clay so it just pelts the ground and then it floods.  Kalgoorlie is flat.  That is a major bonus on the days we are on our bikes but the downside is that water just sits and forms small lakes as you try to drive around town.  We joked that they need a pump to just dump all of the excess water into the Super Pit.  On Wednesday our last appointment cancelled on us at about 8 at night, which is too late to tract here, so we rocked up at the Elder's flat (who had been basically trapped in their flat due to bad weather) and made them come play in the rain with us.  It continued to rain on and off all week long and throughout the weekend.  

Monday was Australia day!  It's the Australian equivalent of the 4th of July.  Our p-day was changed because the shops were all closed and we weren't able to do our shopping.  The Zone Leaders kept texting everyone and telling us that Monday was going to be a miracle day to try and pump us up.   There is nothing to do in Kalgoorlie so when there is a long weekend half of the town leaves to go to either Perth or Esperance.  We were correlating our weeks efforts with the District Leader on Sunday and asked him if he had any ideas of effective things to do to find people to teach on the holiday.  He told us to just get to work and pray.  My Beckstrand came out and I said, "Okay let's make a deal.  First companionship to find a new investigator tomorrow has to make the other companionship dinner."  The Elders were in.  That seemed to be just the excitement we needed.   Sister Kim and I planned for our day and then went to sleep.  When we woke up at 6:30 the humidity was at 88%.  I nearly died. It only got up to about 96F or so but it felt waaaay worse.  I learned that I could never live in a humid climate.  We spent the majority of our day tracting.  The two hours before lunch were the worst.  The sun had come out and I got a nice tan.  By the time we finished the last house that we had planned Sister Kim and I just looked at each other and said, "I don't blame anyone for not letting us in.  We look awful!"  If the heat at the beginning of the month didn't kill me I thought for sure the humidity that day was going to.  The floor of our flat was wet, the walls were crying, and taking a shower didn't do you much good.   Thanks for letting me whinge.  Unfortunately neither of our companionship's found anyone to teach but we were out working and that is what matters.  Your success as a missionary is measured by your commitment to the work.  

I'm grateful for our District Leader.  Elder Brown gave an inspired training yesterday.  I felt pretty rebuked but he did it in such a loving way that I just knew exactly what I needed to do.  This week our district is focusing on the Christ-like attribute of humility.  We are putting our pride aside and making things happen.  
After district meeting we went home for lunch.  While planning the night before we had about an hour that we didn't have anything planned and we just left it that way.  While we were eating lunch I went into our room to read a letter and just relax.  I had a thought come to my mind and went and grabbed my planner and looked at our day ahead.  Sister Kim was reading a book and looked up at me and just asked what I was thinking.  I told her that we needed to go see Jade.  She is one of the recent converts here and I just felt like we should go see her.  Sister Kim grabbed her bag and we were on our way.  When we got there and sat down with her she said she was having a hard time.  We didn't ask any questions and just started into our lesson.  We asked her how she felt knowing that Jesus Christ was there for her any time she needed Him and that He would help with anything she needed.  We sat in silence and she just started to cry.  We let her cry it out and I just put my arm around her to comfort her.  We talked a little bit and I opened up to Joshua 1:6-9.  We talked all about being strong and of a good courage.  For as long as I can remember that has always been mum's favorite scripture.  So much so that we have a decal of it on our front wall when you walk into our home.  I've never used it on my mission but at this moment nothing seemed more appropriate.   The tears passed and hope filled the room.  By the time we left Jade was smiling and laughing with us.  She doesn't have a phone and she said, "I'm glad yous came today.  I thought you might have come yesterday but when you didn't I really prayed you would come see me soon."  I was so grateful that I acted on the prompting to go see her.  I'm grateful that I'm in tune enough with the Spirit that I can feel those promptings and that the Lord trusts me with them because I act when they come.  It's a major blessing in my life and in the lives of those that need us.  If you ever get a prompting to give someone a call, send them a text, or just drop by for a visit, DO IT.  As random as it may be at the time.  When we act in faith God is with us and we become instruments in His hands.  

I'm so grateful for the blessing of eternal families.  We have an investigator that is 19 and has a two year old daughter.  Her partner is 23 and is a hard working man.  They are a responsible couple and are trying everything they can to make it all work.  She mentioned though that her daughter has her last name because "you never know how long he might stay around."  We taught her the Plan of Salvation and explained that your loved ones should be with you for eternity.  As we left I was filled with gratitude for my family and the fact that we will be together forever.  That simple knowledge makes everything else in the world seem right.  No matter what happens to anyone in our family around the world we are connected.  That is my favourite thing to share with people.  I can't put in to words the feeling that I had leaving that lesson.  My heart was so full.  I thought about the trials that people go through.  I thought about the suffering that families are put through with divorce and drugs.  I thought about how happy that makes Satan when we can destroy a family.  I thought about my parents and their example of righteousness, love, and companionship.   Life isn't always sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows but if there is anything I've learned from the flooding and rain in Kalgoorlie it is that the most beautiful flowers blossom after the storm.  Another recent convert we have comes from a part member family.  Her mum is a member but dad is not.  We were visit them the other day and her dad was asking us all kinds of questions.  One he asked was, "So after your mission will you go home and marry a Latter-day Saint?"  I responded, "Yes!" with a big smile.  He said, "Good on ya.  That will be good for you."  We tried to get him to crack and explain why he isn't a member yet but he wouldn't open up.  It's only a matter of time though before he does.
Update on our Golden investigator Ronnie.  Two really cool things about him his week. 
 #1  While looking at our sheet of potentials I realized that the potential we were looking for the day we found Ronnie lives at 42 Boundary, not 24 were we found Ronnie.  We were never even supposed to knock on Ronnie's door that day.  Sister Vaiula wrote the number backwards when she put it in her planner.  Everything happens for a reason.   
#2  We were planning on teaching the Word of Wisdom to Ronnie yesterday.  We were nervous because up until this point he had so easily accepted the other things we taught him we thought he was too good to be true.  We knew that he was a social drinker and so we entered the lesson with a mighty prayer in our hearts.  We started talking with him before the lesson and he said that this last week he had been doing a health detox to help him clear his system so he can be healthier.  All of our jaws just dropped.  When we finished our lesson I said, "Isn't it amazing how the Lord is preparing you one step at a time to hear what he has in store for you?"  We were just so happy about it all.  He committed to live it with no worries.  He is amazing.  At the end of the lesson I quoted Boyd K Packer when he said, "The Word of Wisdom does not promise you perfect health, but it teaches how to keep the body you were born with in the best condition and your mind alert to delicate spiritual promptings".  Ronnie said that that made the most sense out of it all.  He then said, "I'm so looking forward to getting the Holy Ghost, aye. It's going to be so amazing to have this feeling all the time."  He is GOLDEN!  We moved his baptism up to the 15th of February.  It's going to be so amazing.  I look forward to it.  

President announced this week that Elder James J. Hamula of the Seventy is coming to our mission in March.  Elder Hamula challenged our mission to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover before he gets here.  We are starting on Sunday and will read about 15 pages a day until the 7th of March.  It's a major commitment but I'm so excited to do it.  I love being able to just read.  I read the book 'Our Heritage' in 3 days this last week because I would just sit and read during lunch and dinner.  I'm looking forward to read straight through the Book of Mormon in a month.  It is going to be so powerful to reread the stories.  Last week I went through to find stories to share with members to get them excited about the Book of Mormon and it just amazed me how nearly every chapter of the book has something that we can relate to.  If you have never read the Book of Mormon or haven't read it in a while I challenge you to pick up the book and read.  If you do so with real intent and a pure and sincere heart then you will feel God's love more abundantly in your life.  Joseph Smith said, ". . . the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”  It's true.  I know it is.  If you don't know it, find out.  I love this gospel.  I love the scriptures.  I hope you all are doing wonderful and are creating holy places wherever you stand.  I love you all! 

Much love, 
Sister Shayne!  

My card from Brescia that got soaked in our letterbox from all the rain. 
 
 
Elder Brown wouldn't take a serious picture. 
 
 
 
 
 
 Sister Kim's glasses fogged up in the rain.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I found Elder Lucero in Kalgoorlie!  Only the 2nd teaching record I've seen with his name on it.  :)  It's always a fun tender mercy to see things like this.
 
 
 Adds you don't see in Utah 
 
Okay so scary story about this spider.  The first picture is what we saw as we walked up to the door of this house on Sunday.  The second was the picture I took when I realized that this spider (just a bit bigger than the palm of my hand) was INSIDE THEIR HOUSE!!! We tried to knock to let them know but no one would answer the door.  I hope they found it before it found them :)
The last one was what happens when I was helping with dinner.  My new mascara isn't waterproof. . . I'm so used to wearing waterproof that I didn't think much about the tears running down my face until Sister Kim looked at me and just started laughing at me for having big black tears coming down my face.  Lesson learned. 




            

No comments:

Post a Comment