Saturday, January 25, 2014

Big changes in a small world‏

G'day!

Well this has been and amazing week :)  We had transfers on Tuesday.  We picked up my new companion Sister Kim from the train station at 2pm.  She rode up with the new District Leader for Kalgoorlie, Elder Brown.  Let me tell you a little bit about these missionaries.  Sister Kim was born in South Korea.  She moved to Adelaide when she was 12 years old.  She has one brother and 2 sisters.  She is the oldest in her family.  Her dad converted to the gospel when he was 10 with his parents and siblings.  Her dad served a mission in Korea and her grandfather is the Patriarch in her home stake in Korea.  Her mum joined the church when she was 26.  Sister Kim was sealed to her family when she was ten.  She has been out on her mission for 10 months.  We would have both got to Perth the same intake if I didn't have to visa wait.  Sister Kim and I were trained in the same district.  She was trained by Sister Manu in Mindarie when I was trained by Sister Peivi in Clarkson.  It was a mini flashback the first day we were together.  It's been amazing to teach with her this week and see how much we have both grown in the last several months.
  
Elder Brown is from Taylorsville, Utah!  He is a convert of about 10 years.  He has been serving for about 17 months.  He is a magician.  We call him the magicianary :)  He loves card tricks and is really good at them.  We may just be easily entertained but I think he is pretty good.  He has a lot of gospel knowledge.  This scriptures are marked in all kinds of different ways.  I was flipping through them the other day and I came across Isaiah 5:26-28.  He had a tab on that scripture labeled "Push bikes".  I questioned him on it and this is how he explained it like this, "These verses talks about missionary work. 'And he will lift up an ensign to the nations from far, and will hiss unto them from the end of the earth: and, behold, they shall come with speed swiftly: 27 None shall be weary nor stumble among them; none shall slumber nor sleep; neither shall the girdle of their loins be loosed, nor the latchet of their shoes be broken: 28 Whose arrows are sharp, and all their bows bent, their horses’ hoofs shall be counted like flint, and their wheels like a whirlwind:'  Now if I were Isaiah in those days how would I explain a push bike if I saw it in a vision.  Well most people rode horses so a horse whose hoofs are like flint and wheels like a whirlwind.  Sounds like Isaiah saw us on our bikes if you ask me!"  I laughed and had to agree with him.  It's going to be a great transfer out here in Kalgoorlie if you ask me! 

Here a a few highlights from this week:

Our investigator Ronney is going great!  On Tuesday we went over and read 3 Nephi 11 with him.  We didn't want to teach two big lessons back to back.  He mentioned that he had read the introduction and the testimonies of Joseph Smith and the witnesses and that he found it all very interesting.  It was great reading straight through the scriptures with him and just letting the Spirit take over.  We took Sister Graff with us to teach that lesson.  It was such a fun blessing to have her here.  The babies were still in the hospital that day so we kidnapped her and took her with us.  I love the Lord's tender mercies that he has given me this week.  I feel incredibly blessed.  It was great to have her talk about home and be able to give her the opportunity to come teach with us.  We all felt unified and uplifted.  Then on Thursday we went and taught him again.  We took Brother Timu, our ward mission leader and his wife, Pia.  We taught the Plan of Salvation.  Ronney again the whole time just kept saying things like, "I knew there was more after this life."  "Of course God loves us enough to do it that way." and on and on.  He is like a big sponge.  He said that he bumped into an old mate the other day and told the mate all about how he goes to church now and is getting closer to God.  It was awesome.  We have a FHE tonight at the Timu's with him.  They invited him over after our lesson.  It's going to be great.  He stayed for the whole block at church yesterday too!  He said he learned so much in the other classes.  I've never met someone as prepared to hear the gospel as he is.  

Sister Kim brought with her heaps of faith and miracles.  I am soo grateful to have her out here.  The whole work just feels better than it has for the last couple of weeks.  Since we have been out the same amount of time we feel evenly yoked in the work.  It's refreshing to know that as soon as I finish my thought in a lesson that she knows exactly where to take over.  The Spirit has been so strong in the few lessons we have had.  We also found 4 new investigators last week!  That was a major highlight.  The people are here we just need to find them.  

Sister Tairua in the ward shared with us a cool family tradition that they have in their home.  Whenever they eat around the table together for dinner they go around and share 3 good things about their day.  Sister Kim and I really liked that idea so before we fall asleep we share 3 good things about our day.  It's been fun because even though we are basically connected at the hip all day long we have had completely different things every night.  It's pretty cool to see that there are sooo many good things that happen everyday.  Every day might not be good but there is definitely something good in every day.  

Here are a couple tender mercies from church yesterday: 

Back to the Kaa family.  The babies are home!  They were blessed yesterday in Sacrament Meeting.  Jack gave them both amazing blessings.  It was awesome to see them walk in and Jack had a baby seat in both hands.  They are the cutest little family ever!  I'm so glad I'm here at this time to be a part of it in some small way.  

Sister Mitchell, a lady in our ward, was talking to me before Relief Society started and she said, "You are from St. George?  Do you know the Wittwers?  I think they own some furniture shop there.  It's called the Boulevard or something like that."  My jaw just dropped.  I said, "Yeah we know the Wittwers!  My dad worked for the Boulevard for over 17 years!"  Apparently Sheldon was a missionary in New Zealand when Sister Mitchell was investigating the church!

And last but certainly not least,  every Sunday as people come into church all 4 of us missionaries stand by the front door and welcome everyone as we wait for investigators to show up.  Well yesterday I was standing were I could see out the glass doors that are always propped open and all the way to the street.  I was shaking some peoples hand when I looked out the door and made eye contact with Mike Hawkins!  He just stopped where he was and said, "What the heck are you doing here?!"  I just shook my head and freaked out a little and said, "I'm serving here what the heck are you doing out in Kalgoorlie?!"  His brother is in this ward!  Mike and his girlfriend were just out here visiting him and his family.   For those of you who don't remember who Mike is,  Mike served in the Washington YSA ward when I received my mission call.  He is from south of the river in Perth.  I've never served in his ward but I've seen him about 3 times now throughout my mission in the most random of places.  We snapped a quick photo after Sacrament before we went to teach Gospel Principles and he left back to Perth.  

I love that even out here in Kalgoorlie there are people that make me feel right at home.  Sitting in Relief Society yesterday I really felt at home.  It's amazing how quickly you get to know people and connect with them.  The church is true no matter where you go.   This is Christ's church.  I hope you are all growing in your testimonies and that you feel God's love for you.  Those are a few things that I've learned are just as real as everything else in this world.  Keep the faith! 

Much love!
Sister Shayne :)      

This is Sister Kim :) 
 

 This is from the wicked lightening storm we had the other night.  

 

 
 
 
 We drank coconut milk straight from the coconut the other night at a members house.  It was a different experience that's for sure.  It wasn't half bad though. 
 
                                                  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
Mike Hawkins!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
These are our Elders.  I love em.  Elder Brown always wears a 3 piece suit with a pocket watch.  He's crack up that one.  Elder Battye is still here and as cool as ever. 
 
Me and Sister Kim!  A lot of our pictures will probably look like this.  haha  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment