Sunday, January 12, 2014

Esperance, Heat, and Tender Mercies :)‏

G'day! 

Well this week has been pretty exciting!  We started our week out with a trip to part of our area called Esperance that we haven't been to.  We woke up at about 3:20am to get ready for the day and were on the road by 4:30am.  We went that early because we had to be back by 6 because that was the end of p-day. It's about as far from Kalgoorlie as St.George is to Lehi.  We got there right around 8am.  The first thing we did was go to Macca's and get breakfast.  Then we walked down to the jetty.  We aren't allowed to swim but we got as close as we could by walking out on the water as far as we could.  It was so much fun!  I learned a fun fact that my Samoan companion doesn't know how to swim.  When questioned how someone from an island surrounded by water doesn't know how to swim we found out that although Samoa is an island many people there don't know how to swim.  She is from a farm up in the hills and doesn't go to the beach very often.  The seashore is called the foreshore here.  That was my new word for the day on Monday.  After we took pictures on the jetty and enjoyed the fresh sea breeze we drove up to a look out on the hill.  I wasn't expecting much but when we got up there I saw the most beautiful water I have in my entire life.  I didn't know that water could be so blue.  I don't know what is wrong with the Pacific but it needs to learn from the Indian ocean on how to look beautiful.  I just sat in awe.  Well we took a little hike to get a better view of the water.  The closer we got the prettier the water became.  It was definitely worth the early morning wake up.  I only agreed to the trip because I figured I would probably never have the opportunity to see this town ever again in my life so we went.   We spent a lot of time just looking out over the water and taking pictures.  I took easily over 50 photos of just the water.  The pictures don't do it justice in my opinion.  We made a pit stop at the Library to see if we could use their computers to email home.  The lady was super nice and since we were only there for one day she said she would let us use the computers for free instead of having to pay.  There were only 3 computers though so she scheduled out 2 computers and gave us each half an hour.  We wanted to stay longer to send better letters home but we didn't' want to abuse her generosity.  After quick emails we grabbed lunch and made the drive back.  It was a great experience and I'm grateful that I had the opportunity.  

The blessing of taking that trip means that we get to spend more time on our bikes because we used quite a few k's to get to Esperance and back.  I was excited to be out on the push bikes again.  It's a much more effective way to contact people along your path.  People tend to think you are really weird when you just pull over and jump out of the car to try and talk to them about Jesus.  I've had companions that wanted to try that.  Anyway just like a lot of people have written to me in their Christmas cards yes it is warm here.  It's not just warm, it is hot.  It is really really hot.  It has been over 42 degrees Celsius all week long here in Kal.  It wouldn't be so bad if we could go for a swim or get out of the heat more often but the ozone is thin and the rays are strong here.  Instead of lotion in the mornings I put on sunblock.  Instead of coming home for dinner we come home to take a shower.  Instead of a nice cup of Milo at lunch we bought 2 bags of 24 Zooper Doopers last p-day that are almost gone.  A Zooper Dooper is the Australian equivalent of an Otter Pop.  They are also called ice poles.  Why?  Because they are a pole of ice.  Australian terms are very simple and often self explanatory.  I'm getting a pretty solid tan.  It goes from the middle of my biceps to my wrist where my watch is.  I have a wicked tan line from my watch and from the straps on my feet from my shoes.  One day I must have forgotten to put sunblock on my face because my nose, forehead, and ears got burnt and peeled.  I learned my lesson that day.  Being on bikes in this weather isn't awful though.  There are benefits.  While riding around people see you.  They may think you are crazy but when we tract into them latter they go, "Oh you are the girls that were on the push bikes the other day."  Also as we tract we get the sympathy vote.  Some times people offer us water.  They aren't interested but we still get to tell them something while we drink whatever they give us.  It's a pretty good deal.  On Saturday we tracted a street with about 40 houses on it.  Only one kid was really into what we shared.  He said we could drop back by any time this week.  Hopefully we can share more with him and his family.  During that tracting it was really hot and only 1 man offered us a drink.  That night I prayed that he and his family would be blessed for giving us a drink.  We took an early dinner so that Sister Vaiula could get out of the sun.  She didn't drink enough water earlier in the day.  I've had to teach her all about how the sun and her body work this last week.  She made a New Year goal to lose weight so I wrote down simple things she can work on.  She stuck it right in the front of her planner. I've been doing better this transfer.  Every missionary that heard I was coming here said that I would gain weight.  I have proved them all wrong so far by maintaining if not dropping a few pounds.  I think it's all just because of the heat but it's all good.  

Last week I mentioned how we had tracted the majority of our Saturday and only found one person who was interested at all in what we had to share.  Well he has been the biggest tender mercy from the Lord.  His name is Ronney.  When we first met him we were actually trying to find someone else.  The guy we were looking for doesn't live there.  We introduced ourselves and asked if we could share a message with him.  He gave us the okay and I shared Alma 38:5 (my favorite scripture) and he said, "Well that's what we all hope for isn't it?"  I just stepped back and said, "You believe in God?!"  We hadn't met very many people that day that believed in anything.  He said, "Of course just look around you!  You'd be stupid not to believe in a God."  I told him that I wish we met more people like him.  That statement hasn't been more true.  We told him that that scripture actually comes from the Book of Mormon.  He said that he had heard of the book before.  He said, "It's okay that it's from that book, it's all word from God."  I was blown away.  We set up a time that we could come back and teach him more about our church.  We went on Thursday with Sister Prall from the ward to teach him the Restoration.  We went inside and he said, "Alright, where do we start?"  Ecstatic we introduced ourselves a little more, opened with a prayer and dove into the Restoration.  Everything we shared was like gold to him.  He loved every bit and listened intently.  He just kept saying, "Yeah."  and "Of course!"  When Sister Prall bore her testimony of the Book of Mormon I couldn't help but feel prompted to invite him to be baptized.  I said, "Ronney when you know that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith is a true prophet will you be baptized. . . "  He cut me off and said, "Oh yes!  I'd love to be baptized.  I've never been baptized before!"  We promised blessing, gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon (which he said he was honored to have), invited him to church, set a return appointment,  closed with a prayer and went on our way.  We got in the car and just looked at each other in amazement.  We said a prayer of gratitude and went on our way.  He came to church yesterday too!!!  We are excited to go back tomorrow and see what he thought about it.     
   
That's about it for this week.  I hope you are all doing wonderful and are enjoying being back into your normal routine of things.  I pray for you always.  Always know that a Sister in Australia loves you :)  

Aroha Nui (Maori for Lots of love), 
Sister Shayne  

#1 Morning of drive to Esperance
 
 
#2 Jetty 
 
#3 Me on the Jetty
 

View from the hill out look
 
View from the cliff we hiked down to from the look out. Look how blue!
 

 
 
 
 
Me and the blue water :)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
      
 
          LIFE SAVER!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Me and Sister Vaiula
 
Welcome to Esperance sign that we actually took a picture of on our way out of town haha!
 
 
New Year!  Midnight in Perth, 9:00am in St. George, time where Jaden is as well as Brashley :) 
Phone Jan 1 12:00am 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 My New Years Eve Party! Journal writing, rubiks cube, water bottle, chips and salsa.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I saw this Christmas cactus on a doorstep that we knocked on and had to take a picture for you :)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 The twins!!! Tiariki is named after Jack's brother.  Ps Jacks full name is Jack Brian Richard Matthew Kaa.  I kid you not!  He has 4 white first names!   The nurses call Tiariki TK so they don't mispronounce it.  He is on the left.  The one on the right is Curtis.  Named after Nykells dad.  He is the older of the two.  He was sucked out with a vacuum so his head is shaped funny.  
Feeding tubes :( they were about 7 weeks early so even though they were 6lbs each they still can't quite suck on their own.  They were doing one breast feed with two tube feeds when we saw them on Friday. 
Curtis was sick of his tube and pulled it out.  Nykell wants them out so they can go home.  
TK :)
 
Bikes!  My bike out here is ghetto!  We don't bring our own bikes to Kal.  They don't really fit on the train so they just keep spare bikes out here.  I have the brakes tied to another part of the bike to keep it from killing my legs because I need to get it fixed.  Not only is it hot but my bike constantly has it's brakes on.  
 
Fun tan lines from my skirt and shoes :)
 Look how long my hair is getting!  I didn't color it by the way.  It just was drying from my shower that morning.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment