Monday, July 29, 2013

Miracles and Training

Family!
What a crazy week! This week felt like it lasted months and yet it went by in the blink of an eye. That happens a lot on a mission I've realized. We had two major miracles that I want to share.
First was with Vicki Xu she's the Chinese lady that we've been working with. When we went to visit her we were planning on taking the restoration lesson super slow and really try to help her understand what was going on. Her little boy is usually a major distraction and it's hard to get the spirit there. This week we took her friend Rozina and her daughter Kelly. Kelly was able to keep her son entertained and quiet the whole lesson, which was a miracle in and of itself. Then when we sat down Vicki said, "So I've been reading this book." and grabs the Book of Mormon. "I really like Mosiah 4:14-15 I think it talks about families and how important it is to have God in our lives." We were in shock and didn't know what to say. She then said, "This book really does apply to us in our daily lives." We were blown away at how the Lord had worked within her this week. The spirit was so strong and we know that she will be ready for baptism in no time. I'm grateful that the spirit really does do all of the teaching.
Miracle #2
Wendy, our Vietnamese investigator committed to baptism!!! We had another ridiculously powerful Restoration lesson with her and our Ward Mission Leader Dave Matene and his wife Marg. The setting again was just perfect for the spirit to touch her heart and help her understand what we shared. It's amazing how every little thing just works out so smoothly when you plan ahead, pray, and rely on the spirit. She is on date for the 31st of August so we are now just helping her progress towards that date. We have planned to set her son Alex (14) and daughter Jennifer (11) on date this week to be baptized just like their mom. Their family really needs the gospel right now. It's amazing to see how we were literally instruments in the Lord's hands by finding them right now. I love being a missionary! The work is moving forward and people are being prepared to hear the word of God! The fullness of the resorted gospel here on the earth today!
Last thing I wanted to share. I got a phone call from President this morning. He started with, "Sister Beckstrand, we have a slew of new sister missionaries coming into the Australia Perth Mission this week and I need you as a trainer." My heart dropped. I of course took the call and told him that I am grateful for the opportunity. He said that he has full faith and confidence that I can do this calling and that we will continue to grow as a mission. He said, "We've had you as a Sister Training Leader and now you are needed as a trainer. I know that we will continue to use you while you are here in Western Australia." I don't know what he has in mind with that comment but I'm sure it will be okay. Not going to lie I am terrified with the thought that I will be training this next transfer. (Transfer is on Wednesday this week so I'll tell you who I am training and where I am serving next week). Although I am nervous I know that the Lord doesn't call the qualified but that He qualifies those that He calls. I will be praying and relying on the Lord more than ever these next few weeks but I know that it will be a major blessing for not only me and the missionary that I will become in the next few weeks but that it will be a great experience to help another missionary become the best that she can be as well.
I know this church is true. I know that Joseph Smith really did see God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ. I know that the Book of Mormon is word from God and that as we read it it will help us in our individual lives. It was written to help us. I know that Heavenly Father loves us. I love being able to feel His love for others as I serve. This work is remarkable and I am humbled to be a part of it.
I love you all and love getting all of your letters, blogs, emails, and pictures. You are the greatest support a missionary could ask for.
 
All my love,
Sister Shayne
 
p.s. Here are some pictures.
 
First one - Penny street! It makes me smile every time we drive by. I had to pull over and take a picture to send it to you.
Other- I got my hair cut and layered. The lady did a really good job with the cut and a member paid for the cut. It was a little tender mercy. So I curled it on Sunday for church and thought I would make sure you got a picture so you know that I don't just straighten it every day :)
Love you. Thank you for everything. I printed a lot out this week and will send a better email back next week. I pray that all is going well with you and the whole fam.
All my love,
Sister Shayne

 

No comments:

Post a Comment