Sunday, October 20, 2013

Koondoola and Ellerby Way

Hey there!
This has been a really long week.  I don't know what made it feel so long but I don't feel like I've emailed you in ages.  I think having General Conference last week kind of threw us off a little because we didn't have sacrament meeting.  Everything in the life of a missionary is so repetitive and exactly scheduled that when we have a change in something it just throws off my groove. 

We did heaps of tracting this week whilst trying to find more people to teach.  One thing we kept noticing was the number of Burmese families that we ran in to.  They were all extremely nice and interested in learning more about Jesus Christ.  Between the increasing number of Persian recent converts we have in our mission and the number of Burmese families that everyone seems to be finding I can't help but say that I feel like I'm seeing the literal gathering of Israel right before my eyes.  People leaving their home lands to travel to a new country looking for a better life for themselves or for their families and they just happen to find the church on their path.  I'm going back to the thought that there is no such thing as coincidence.

I have to tell you about a story.  One day two lovely sister missionaries were deciding on a street to go tract.  One said to the other, "Well it's the middle of the day let's go to Koondoola since we've been told that it's a pretty dodgy (sketchy) place to be after the sun goes down." The other agreed and off they headed to Ellerby Way :)  Ellerby way is a nice little street with enough houses to keep you tracting for about 2 hours.  As we went from door to door we met some rather interesting people that I never thought I would come across.  The first of the lovely people we met was a full on nun.  She was clothed in her nun attire with her cross hanging around her neck.  She was sweet and politely turned us away from her home.  As we carried on down the road we came across two different families that were both of the Greek Orthodox religion.  The first lady wasn't interested but was concerned for us and both of us a bottle of water.  The next man let us share a scripture with him, thanked us for the message from God and gave each of us a banana for energy while we went and spread the good word to those that would listen to us.  There was a cute little boy named Levi with his dad in his front yard.  The father didn't acknowledge that we had even walked up to his house and said hi but cute little Levi ran right up to us.  He shook my hand and said, "I'm Levi!"  Sister Kennar put her hand out for a high five and he looked at it gave her a quizzical look and then ran off.  There are two more houses that are worth mentioning.  One house we walked up to and knocked.  A man came to the door, listened to our little schpeal, and said, "I'm not the house owner" and went to get his friend.  His friend was dressed in a full-length gown looking thing.  It looked like it was made from the same stuff that flour bags from the Lehi Roller Mills are made of.  He was a hard-core Muslim.  He instantly knew who we were, took our copy of the Book of Mormon and said, "We believe this is true.  We believe everything to be true.  We just have a higher knowledge of many other things."  You could smell the stink of whatever he had been smoking.  He walked over to his car and pulled out a Qu'ran.  If you read it from the front it was English on one column and if you read it from the back it was Arabic in the other column.  He has a car full of friends pull up at that moment and they all started to share things about this book he was giving to us.  We took the book and got away as quickly as we had arrived.  As we walked away Sister Kennar said, "I see how this would be a dodgy area to come at night."  We only had 3 more houses on the street and we didn't think that much else would come about.  We knocked on our last door and this man opened it and walked out to talk to us.  He was this large Croatian man with a thick accent.  (We weren't really sure if he was mad or if that's just the way they talk. . .)  He began by saying, "Why are you not Catholic?  You young and going around telling people to change their religion.  Why?  You! (He pointed at me) Your parents were Catholic!"  I cut in and said,  "No they are member of our church." (I pointed at my badge).  "No!" he said, "They were Catholic!"  I just decided to bite my tongue.  After about 5 mins of him just talking/yelling at us about Catholicism and how no one should have ever change from that we walked back to our car trying to figure out exactly what had just happened.  I've never had such a random and exciting day of tracting in my entire mission so far. 

Thank you so much for the new scripture mastery card!  I spent an entire personal study comparing the scriptures from the 2004 version to the 2012 version.  It's amazing how many of the scriptures that I learned and leaned on growing up through seminary have been taken off. I find it interesting that my generation had scriptures that talked about trusting the Lord, getting to know Him, studying His words, not procrastinating repentance, and even Jeremiah 16:16 talked about God calling many missionaries.  There is no doubt that those scriptures were for my generation to prepare us for this time.  Now Jeremiah is no longer on the 2012 edition.  The year when the age dropped for missionaries and many many many were called.  The new list has a focus on being fulling converted to God in all we do every minute of every day.  A lot of the scriptures on the new one are also scriptures that we use every day on the mission field.  It's just amazing.  There is no longer time to be a half hearted member.  We have a huge responsibility to share the gospel with as many people as we can.  We must raise to the level that God expects us to be.  There are scriptures that are the same but have different key words.  One that stood out to me was Joshua 24:15.  My generations said, "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve."  The new one says, "Choose to serve God."  They aren't messing around with these scriptures that we need to know.  The Savior is going to come again and we must be ready.  Find something to change today and get closer to the Lord and His gospel than ever before. 

Sister Kennar is done being trained.  It's been amazing to be a trainer and to help her know the ropes of missionary work here in the Australia Perth Mission.  I've learned so much about myself, about the gospel, the atonement, and about this work.  My testimony has been strengthened like never before.  We just received transfer calls.  I am staying in Alexander Heights for another transfer.  Sister Terry is going to be my new companion.  She is from England.  She has about 6 months left on her mission.  I got a call from President on Sunday asking me to be a Sister Training Leader again.  I said yes and am sooo excited!  I love being a Sister Training Leader.  I can't wait to see what this week has in store, and what is going to happen in this next transfer.  
 
On Sunday I got pulled out of Relief Society to go play the piano for primary.  They have their primary program next week and the pianist child got sick so they didn't have anyone to play the piano.  I didn't do awful but I definitely didn't do well.  Ben keep playing the piano!  Practice every day.  It's going to be such a blessing when you get older.   I really want to teach myself how to play properly when I return home.
Last thing.  I found a Maori Book of Mormon and have decided to pull an Other Side of Heaven and read it alongside an English version.  Who knows maybe I'll be able to bare my testimony in Maori when I get home.  Don't hold me to that though. Hahaha 
I love you all :) 
Sister Beckstrand
 
 
 
 
 
                     Ellerby Way :)

Our Qur'an that we respectfully placed in the bin when we got home.




 Sister Kennar insisted that we go eat Vietnamese food one day.  Yes I ate my entire meal with just chopsticks!










This is my little friend that only comes out at night.  We see him every time we pull in at night.  I finally got a picture of him.  I don't think he's poisonous though because he doesn't have red on him.  The red backs are different from the Black Widows.  Pretty sure they are more poisonous.

No comments:

Post a Comment