Sunday, September 21, 2014

Last week!‏

Hey everyone!

What a great week to end on!  So many revelatory moments this week.  We had an amazing Zone Meeting on Tuesday.  President Lindsay came and gave training.  We were pretty sure it was going to be on obedience but it was on our divine nature as children of God.  We talked about the best ways to receive personal revelation.  The thing that hit me the most was about how in order to receive revelation we have to act.  Joseph Smith didn't ask which church is true he asked which church he should join.  He also studied it out before he acted.  If you want to receive revelation then you need to prepare yourself for it.
 
It's been an incredible week to reflect on the last year and a half of life.   We talked about who we see in the mirror when we get up in the morning.  I'm excited to see how much you all think I have changed when you see me this week.  I don't feel any different but I know that so much has changed within me.  It's been amazing to look back on.  We studied with the Sisters in Kwinana this week.  That made me realize how much I've learned and grown.  I felt so humbled to have them just soaking in whatever Sister Faiva and I said.  They wrote a lot of what we said in their Preach My Gospels and notebooks.  I can't say it enough but this whole journey has been incredibly humbling.  You never know who is looking up to you and what you do.

The young men have had all of the missionaries at youth activites for the last few weeks. One week we just shared why we served and gave advice on how to prepare to serve.  The next week we did a relay race where we had them search the scriptures, do push-ups, tie a tie, and take/put on bike tires.  This week was great!  We went and were the team captains of the red team.  Each team was given certain food items to cook up.  Well our team was definitely super unified.  Each boy actually helped cut and cook up amazing pasta and hand made garlic bread.  I thought we did pretty good.  We had ripped up a tank top and gave each boy a red strip of fabric to tie around their heads.  We had the best team outfit for sure.  haha  Those young men are amazing.  They will all make amazing missionaries.

Saturday was the best day ever.  We woke up super early and got ready for a mission devotional.  We took the train with our Elders from Mandurah up to the Perth Underground station then took the bus to the temple for a 9am start.  We were assigned to be there at 8:15 to be studying by 8:30.  Elder S. Gifford Neilsen of the First Quorum of the Seventy came and visited Perth.  He has been recently assigned as the 2nd counselor of the Pacific Area Presidency.  President Lindsay had asked Elder Neilsen if he would come speak to all of the missionaries.  He was hilarious!  He was so down to earth.  We all walked through and shook his hand and then he stood up and said, "I'm so privileged to be here with all of you.  I may never shake this hand again."  He started off by asking what the Spirit had already told us this morning.  He said that if we have been on our knees in prayer that morning that the Spirit should have whispered something to us.  That had me really think back over my morning and the way I go about my morning prayers.  I've been very guilty of being that missionary that rolls out of bed onto the floor and usually struggles to keep my head off of the edge of the bed while I pray.  Sister Faiva is one of the missionaries that hears the alarm and get on her knees in her bed and prayers that way.  He told us that we should learn and grow wherever we go.  He asked us a lot of rhetorical questions that made us think heaps.  Questions like, "What do I have within me?"  "What can I become with the Lord's help?"  "Why are you here?"  That last question he actually opened up and asked us why we decided to serve.  Many answers were like, "To share the gospel with others."  "Because I know God love me and I want others to know that too."  "Because I want everyone to be in eternal families."  "Because Christ died for me and this is my way of living for Him."  There were many many answers and after every one Elder Nielsen would say, "That's right!" He spent a long time listening to everyone's answers and then he said, "I want you all to write this down.  All of your answers are correct but you are on a mission to become an amazing mother or father.  You are becoming cemented into the gospel now because you will need to live the gospel and how your children the way to receive the blessings of Salvation.  This is the only time you have to become that person under such intense circumstances as a mission.  You need to be the best missionary God knows you can be so that you can become the amazing mothers and fathers that God needs and intends you to be."  It was amazing to feel like a successful missionary. 

The whole meeting was exactly what I needed.  It was also so nice to see all of the missionaries.  Sister Tomaki nearly knocked me off me off my feet when we gave me a hug.  She is the best.  We were given specific instructions to not take photos or linger after the meeting so we weren't able to get any photos.  I was able to see Elder Wihongi, Elder Teuira, Elder Maughan, Elder Eti, Sister Tomaki and countless others.  It made my day!  Then that night Jordy and Sione took us to a buffet called the Atrium in the city.  It is part of a huge hotel called the Crown Hotel.  It was amazing!  We had so much fun with them this whole week.  Those two and Ina, Siones little brother, were like our best friends this week.  I love that family.  

Sunday was weird.  I still don't quite know how to feel about the fact that next Sunday I won't be at the Mandurah Ward.  The whole day was kind of like being in a twilight zone.  Bishop had Sister Faiva and I give final testimonies.  All of the members came up and said the nicest things to us.  I was offered rooms at like 3 different houses for when I come back and visit.  I love these people so much.  I'm going to miss them more then they know.  

I can't wait to see all of you.  I'm excited to see the boys play football, watch Josh in action with his running, and just spend time with Soph.  I look forward to seeing you all in just a few days!  Can't wait to get hugs from you all.  Have a great couple of days and I'll see you soon!               



Much love, 
Sister Shayne



Pictures:
Me and Faiva
My tired companion.  We've endured to the end!


We had an investigator in the Elders Area that Sister Faiva used to teach take us all out to dinner.  Elder Hereaka was eating a stake and is to strong for the cutlery.  He broke it and looked down at the plate and said, "What the heck!  These stupid pakia knifes!"  When the lady came to pick up our plates he said, "I'm sorry I broke your knife."  She just looked down at the knife and said, "Well I've never seen that before."  We all got a great laugh out of it.  This was another dinner with Sione, Ina, and Jordy.  So many fun memories with these three :) 



















The Day family

The Waihi's  Who are coming to the states only a few days after me!  I'm excited to see them.  
Bishop Thane and Andrea
 




No comments:

Post a Comment