Monday, September 1, 2014

Such an incredible week‏!

Hey everyone!

This has been an incredibly crazy week.  Full of trials, celebrations, emotions, and fun.  The two main things that happened this week was our Missionary Leadership Meeting and Stake Conference. On Friday Sister Faivakimoana and I drove up to the mission home to join all of the Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders for a monthly meeting to discuss the work in the mission.  I've had a lot of time to reflect this week. MLC was incredible. The last time I was at one of those meetings was nearly a year ago. It was amazing to look back and see what has changed in me and in the mission. I'm so grateful for the chances I have had to help so many people move forward in the gospel. The Greentree kids are so excited to go to the temple. They are keeping on to us to get their interviews with Bishop so they can go. It's amazing to see the change in people. I've deeply come to love the people of WA and especially here in Golden Bay.  At MLC they had me, Sister Faiva, and Sister Ensign all give our last testimonies.  It was super emotional.  I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to serve with both of them.  It was amazing to have a super charge of my purpose as a missionary.  We invite and help people get closer to God.  No better example of that this week then having Nikau get the Melchezidek Priesthood.  The atonement amazes me. I love seeing it change my life. I love seeing others change. This week Satan worked as hard as he could on Nikau.  On Wednesday we went over to the Mutu's to study with Nikau.  We got there and he just broke down to us about the struggles he has been going through.  He knew the adversary was going to work hard on him but he didn't realise how hard.  We had this saying all week that we just needed to make it to Sunday.  Once we make it to Sunday all will be good.  I wish you could see the change that I've seen in him in the last 8 months or so. Throughout the whole week we kept in contact with him mum and him to make sure that he was going to stay strong and receive the priesthood on Sunday. The change in him in the last 8 months is remarkable. Hearing his mum talk about his change always brings me to tears. I'm so grateful I was able to be a part of it all.  I'll come back to this story in a minute.  
 
Saturday night Sister Faiva and I along with our Zone Leaders gave a training at the adult session of Stake Conference.  President Johnson told us Tuesday that we would be giving training in front of all of the stake.   We were training on how members can be better missionaries.  We used quotes from Elder Bednar and Elder Ballard.  Elder Bednar said, "We properly pray for the safety and success of the full-time missionaries throughout the world. And a common element in many of our prayers is a request that the missionaries will be led to individuals and families who are prepared to receive the message of the Restoration. But ultimately it is my responsibility and your responsibility to find people for the missionaries to teach. Missionaries are full-time teachers; you and I are full-time finders. And you and I as lifelong missionaries should not be praying for the full-time missionaries to do our work!"  We talked about every member can invite someone to hear the gospel.  We talked about living the gospel out loud.  When someone asks you how you are instead of just saying, "I'm tired." say, "I'm tired because I had a privilege of waking up at 5am to take my kids to seminary." By using what the Elders called "Mormon words" it opens doors for people to ask about the gospel and for us to testify.  Elder Ballard in the last conference invited all of us to invite our friends to learn and to deepen our own conversion by studying Preach My Gospel.  He said, "May I suggest that we can all be more consistently involved in missionary work by replacing our fear with real faith, inviting someone at least once a quarter—or four times every year—to be taught by the full-time missionaries. They are prepared to teach by the Spirit, with sincere and heartfelt inspiration from the Lord. Together we can follow up on our invitations, take others by the hand, lift them up, and walk with them on their spiritual journey.  To help you in this process, I invite all members, regardless of your current calling or level of activity in the Church, to obtain a copy of Preach My Gospel. It is available through our distribution centers and also online. The online version can be read or downloaded at no cost. It is a guidebook for missionary work—which means it is a guidebook for all of us. Read it, study it, and then apply what you learn to help you understand how to bring souls to Christ through invitation and follow-up. As President Thomas S. Monson has said, “Now is the time for members and missionaries to come together, to work together, to labor in the Lord’s vineyard to bring souls unto Him.”  We had a lot of members come up to us after and tell us we did a great job and how much they appreciated our training.  It wasn't half bad for less then a weeks notice. 

Sunday morning I was incredibly excited and nervous all at the same time.  Brother Light was bringing Aaron with his family.  Aaron loved conference.  Each person who came to conference was given a CD of songs that some missionaries compiled with the Stake President.  Aaron texted us later last night and said, "I have a new favourite CD.  I've been playing it all day! It's beautiful."  I teared up when I read that.  The gospel is so perfect.  I LOVE IT!  About 9:30 Sunday morning I was pacing the floor of the Performing Arts Centre where conference is held.   I texted Mum Mutu and asked her how Nikau was going.  She said, " He's good :) I'm so excited and sooky it's the best day ever :)  xxx see you soon."  When Nikau, mum and dad walked in I couldn't help just just smile from ear to ear.  They all looked so happy.  Dad was even in slacks and a button-up shirt!  For those of you who don't remember Manaia is not a member. He has come to church 5 times since I've been here. He went from not wanting to have anything to do with the church to coming to baptisms and church because he has seen the change in his son. Nikau's example is what will bring his dad into the gospel. It was a beautiful sight.  When they had those who were getting the priesthood stand up I teared up.  We were on the stand singing with the choir and I had a direct view of Nikau.  I just cried.  It was amazing to be there and be able to just think, "He did it.  He made it.  All of the tears, all the hard work, all of the turns and dips along the crazy roller coaster of a journey it was to get here, he made it."  It was an overwhelming feeling.  My heart was full of admiration.  When the conference ended we all made our way to a different room to see Nikau get the priesthood.  I'm not even going to try and explain the feeling in that room and Nikau walked up and sat in the chair to have the priesthood conferred upon him.  I was in tears.  I love this family.  I love that I have family here in WA.  They've taken part of my heart and I won't ever get it back.  I love this gospel.  I love being a missionary.  My prayers are with you all and I hope all is going well with yous.  Miss you and love you heaps! 

Much love, 
Sister Shayne

Pics:
Nikau and Elder Teuira.  He gave him the priesthood.  It was a really special moment for both of them.  They are like my brothers.  I love these two so much.  I don't they understand how much they mean to me.  They gave each other the biggest hug after and I just smiled because I was so proud of Nikau and just so happy that Elder Tueira had the opportunity to give him the priesthood.  

Mum, dad, and Nikau
 
Me and my mission sons Elder Maughan and Elder Daniel :)  These two are great! 

Look who was serving in Rockingham when Nikau was baptized!!!!
Someone please forward this to Ryan!
We had a freak out this week at the Mutu's when we pulled up this
photo and I saw that it was Ryan. Cool aye! :)  -Penny note - Ryan and Shayne are cousins!
 
More pictures to come next week after Ally edits and emails them to me :) 
3rd Nephi
10:6 he will always welcome us back as we are humble enough to repent and return to Him
11:7, 10-11 Imagine how amazing it would be to hear these verses in person.
11:15 Put yourself in their shoes.  One by one. 
11:22-28 The last thing He told the apostles was to baptise in Matthew 28:18-20 and here it is the first thing He tells them when He returns. 
11:39 We must know, understand, and apply the doctrine to be saved. 
13:8,32 Heavenly Father knows. 
13:22 See footnote to D&C 88:67-68
14:13-14 One of my favourite scriptures
15:9 The law and light = eternal life
15:212 These are them!  John 10:16

No comments:

Post a Comment